View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The rehabs didn't fail, he did. Rehabs only give the A tools, however, the A has to USE those tools 24/7.

I took my alcoholism to the MAX and I did die in the ER, several times, and the last time they were putting the TOD (Time Of Death) on my chart when my heart started on it's own.

I ended up in AA as that was really the only game in town back then, where I was given 'tools' and taught how to use them. Then it was UP TO ME to use them, and to not drink, One Day At A Time.

With what you have shared, it just does not sound like he is any where near ready to 'try' again and go for broke for recovery. See all the 'programs' AA, SMART, Rehabs, etc are for those that want it, not those that need it.

You say you have dreams about what could be down the road. Instead I believe you have to look within yourself and decide if you can see yourself with him 5 or 10 years down the road, if he is just as he is now, only with the progression of alcoholism add extended abdomen and jaundiced eyes and skinny legs and arms, possibly vomiting blood, and a very physically sick individual?

I don't want to shatter your dreams, but most of us here, have been where you are now. Many of us 'stayed' much longer than we should have, but we have been there. It is not a pretty picture.

J M H O based on my personal experience from many years in AA and almost as many in AlAnon.

I wish you the best.

Love and hugs,