Thread: Separating?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
GettingBy

Originally Posted by putmeontheair View Post
Thanks. You can't legally separate in the state of Georgia ... it's divorced or married.

My situation is this:

I pay all the bills while he pays nothing except for his child support. The house is completely in his name whereas my name is not on it but I make the payments. I'm trying to figure out if, in a separation of some sort, do I continue to make payments? Ultimately I'll have to pay for myself to live someplace, but I can stay with a friend temporarily.

lakskj;dflaksjdf

One year ago I wasn't even married yet.

*scream*
It's pretty similiar here in NY. You can separate - but it's such an arduous process and there aren't clear defined "rules" to help facilitate an agreement. I initiated a divorce - but that doesn't mean we are divorced - it just defines the path/steps that need to be taken, and the "rules/guidelines" by how things like child support, division of assets, etc. are determined. We will be married until a final divorce decree is accepted by the judge... and from what I understand from others who are on the road ahead of me... that could mean YEARS until I'm single. It's a process - that needs to be taken one step, one day, at a time.

An attorney will be able to give you a clear answer on the house situation (his name but you're paying)... but I suspect that if you can clearly document it was YOUR money that paid down the loan - it's YOUR equity in the house. That being said, it's not cut and dry so going after than money will require an attorney.

I was right were you are... only a few weeks ago. I was lost, confused, and spinning my wheels. The only thing that got that to stop was talking to attorneys and educating myself on the law.