Thread: Wwyd
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

When XABF went to rehab, they confiscated his cell phone, as well.
There was a pay phone the patients could use, with a limit of 10 minutes a day. It cost 10 cents per minute.
He spent $20 in the first four hours at rehab, plus kept sweet-talking the nurses at the front desk into allowing him to use the phone at the front desk. He spent it all calling me. It was awful... Until I learned that I didn't have to answer, and I could even turn my phone off so it wouldn't even right. (At the time, he was the only person who really ever called me.) What a novel idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Alcoholics are resourceful. They're very good at getting what they want, much of the time.
Rehabs are trained to deal with alcoholics. He may get away with it now, but they'll find it soon enough.
In the meantime, you absolutely don't have to answer.

In XABF's case, his calling constantly, I feel, detracted completely from his rehab experience. He was so fixated on calling me all the time, he didn't really concentrate on the things he was supposed to do. In the meantime, I felt controlled and used, and again, this is while he was in rehab.

Don't do anything, but no need to answer, either.