View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShiningStars

Am I detaching or just cold hearted?

Earlier this week I posted a question about my AH's 'bathroom issues'. Yesterday he was admitted to the hospital for pancreatitis AGAIN. He was hospitalized just before Christmas for the same. This makes his fourth hospital stay for pancreatitis in 4 years.

Yesterday while sitting in the ER exam room with him for several hours listening to him talk about random BS, I asked him what he was going to do once he got out of the hospital. He kinda laughed and said he was going to get pain meds and go home. I told him I meant what was he going to do to get better, what are his plans? Is he finally going to rehab? He continued acting like he didn't know what I was talking about and changed the subject. I said he KNOWS what is causing his health issues, he KNOWS what he has to do to stop it, what he is currently doing is NOT working. And he still continued denying the fact he is drinking, admitting to only a 'slip' on the anniversary of his grandfathers passing earlier this week. He was still denying his problem was pancreatitis even though the doctor had talked to him just minutes before saying it was pancreatitis.

As he continued talking I gave him his wallet and left him a phone number to reach me when he found out what was going on or when he was released, and I got up and left. I told him I was tired of hearing BS and I just walked away. I had already told him I would be leaving soon because instead of sitting with him at the hospital on yet another holiday/important day I should be home with my daughter. It was my daughter's 16th birthday. And instead of making her day special I was sitting in the hospital with him. Again.

I cried the entire way to my car. It is a huge hospital and I must have looked a mess by the time I got to my car, but once I got there I felt better. I called his mother and let her know he was in the hospital again, and went home.

I feel like I should be more concerned... More upset. But I'm not. Geez, what does this say about me? Am I really the cold hearted b*tch I've been accused of being, or am I finally learning to detach? Let me have it. I can take it.