Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

What do you do when somebody dominates an Alanon Meeting...

...I go to a couple of meetings where there's a dude who either doesn't know or doesn't care how much time he takes up when he's sharing. But if sharing were water, several people in the group would be dehydrated while he'd be pissing every five minutes.

Today I cracked. It was a short meeting anyway because of a business meeting, and he shared for 15 of the remaining 40 minutes. For the first time ever, which means since 2003, I interrupted somebody who was sharing. I told him to finish up because there were other people who wanted to share.

He lashed out at me, called me controlling and said he'd share until he was ******* done. I Costanza'd him and said "we live in a society." He continued lashing out until some other dudes shut him down and we finished the meeting (most people did not get an opportunity to share). After, I didn't say anything to him and he didn't say anything to me.

I know I can be controlling, but I don't believe in this situation I did wrong. How have some of you handled this type of situation, and do you think I was out of line asking him to finish so others could share?

Cyranoak