View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Whoa, and I thought I was all up in my head about recovery

I never denied that drinking was enjoyable. Heck, it was an absolute blast sometimes! We shouldn't lie to ourselves that drinking is never a pleasant experience. On the contrary, it is often quite wonderful! It's important to be honest about that, and to find genuinely good reasons for quitting. So, the question is, if it's so much fun to drink, why stop?
There is a time component to consider: For long time drinking was fun...Then drinking was fun with problems...Then just problems. Seriously, by the time I quit, drinking provided only a few minutes of relief, then it was find more booze or face the demons. By that time, it was taking a lot of booze to get a buzz, and my body simply could not process enough ethanol to keep me 'happy'.

Although I have no argument with your logic, I am not sure how applicable logic is to desire. On a neurochemical level it is logical - whoever fires the right synapses wins, but the "I wanna drink" side seems to have disproportionate resources to the "no I really shouldn't" side.

Thanks for sharing VP, I enjoyed reading it. I think you are dead on that a person can get past not drinking being an everyday choice. I think you still have to be continually working to improve yourself, but I would like to think that some battles can be won.