View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thumper

It is hard for me to answer. My xah was a daily drinker. I honestly could not stand him in the end. He didn't sober up before we divorced so I can't really say how it would have went. He sure wasn't a decent person the year after. He was much uglier then in our marriage. He's sober 3mos now and it is like talking to a normal person again. Of course a conversation every couple weeks about the kids and living with someone is an entire different kettle of fish. Last summer I'd have said the chances of us being civil/friends were nill but now that he is sober (and if he stays that way), it is possible because he seems like the decent person I married. Actually I'm sure he was an alcoholic when we got married I just didn't know it and he wasn't so far down the rabbit hole. I also wasn't the controlling, miserable, distant, unhappy codie

It must take monumental effort, commitment, understanding, and mutual commitment to recovery to get through that first couple of years inside of a marriage. I'm not sure I'd have it in me.