Thread: On the Ledge?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

So I wrote a comment to the article I linked too:
Super stuff James. Scary but super. I have hated my job for more than a decade. If hate seems like a strong word, how is this: I even became an alcoholic, at least in part, to numb the pain of going there. It started by obliterating myself after work, and whatever the line is that separates the 'alcohol addicted' from a 'heavy drinker' is, I crossed it a few years ago. "If I have to go there, I might as well be buzzed," was my solution. (Believe me your approach is much healthier and kinder.)

Cutting to the chase... Six months sober and the company has given me an opportunity to reinvent myself, but every fiber of my being says I should leave. Unfortunately, the fibers of the other beings close to me are telling me to stay until I have a plan. Plans are overrated, and I suck at making them. The grass may not really be greener on the other side, but getting over the fence would be fun. Thanks.

And this was Altucher's reply:
Its not bad to have a plan. But now you need to plan to plan. Start today. Make the list. What else can you do? Your list is going to be bad. You need at least a month to build the idea muscle back up. But start making a list every day starting today. What are 10 other things you can do. Start the list with this: "buy a gas station" and work from there.
Not bad advice and it rhymes with LaF's suggestion. So in the spirit of brainstorming here goes:

1) Buy a gas station [An expensive and risky investment in a dying way of life.]

2) Join the Peace Corps [Probably have to put that one on hold until the kids are through college.]

3) Start a competing firm [Gaah - Same job but more work...]

4) Go back to school [I've been toying with the idea of being a PT]

5) Travel [Hmmm - See #9 & #2]

6) Start a restaurant [I have always wanted to...]

7) Become a Day Trader [That's funny, you hate that crap.]

8) Write a book [No reason to leave this job to do that.]

9) Ask for a leave of absence [Not a crazy idea...]

10) Tutor math at the University [See #8]

My post storm comments in [ ]'s

I won't bore you with tomorrow's list, just thought I'd share a little.