Thread: On the Ledge?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

On the Ledge?

I think 90% of people should quit their jobs right now or do something utterly drastic to shake things up. “What would I do?” people can then ask, “I have responsibilities, mouths to feed, mortgage to pay. You don’t get it.” Yes I do. You throw yourself into the abyss. You get scared. You stay up late at night thinking and thinking and thinking. You feel like the death of emptiness is worse than the slow death of your job. But you’ll figure it out. One by one all of your old colleagues will disappear from your life. They will die.

You’ll still be alive.

Jame Altucher, 10 Reasons to Quit Your Job
Wow this has some meaning for me today. I have been feeling cynical and a little depressed for a month or better now. I know my job is part of it. I know my job is part of the reason I got here, or at least a symptom of it. Everyone says don't make drastic changes the first year in recovery. I know if I don't start making some changes soon, I will likely relapse.

My wife (a normie with a work ethic) says go find something else then - make a plan. I suck at planning things, always have. She knows I am perfectly capable of sitting on the beach for a year, and it scares the ca-ca out of her. If I was single and no kids, sitting on the beach would be exactly what I would do.

Sorry for the whiny stream of consciousness post, but I had to tell somebody. I am sick of being in recovery. I don't want to plan, I want to do. (But, LOL, apparently I don't want to do much.)