Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Buffalo66

My RAH, when he was still active, and toward the end before he went to treatment, started to have some mental symptoms.

Disordered is what I call it.

He could not put two thoughts in line and also, his drinking changed day to day. Meaning, that one day he could drink a case of beer and appear mildly tipsy, and the next day he could drink two beers and the be obliterated. This was what they call saturation.

His brain had pockets of saturation that could be triggered by varying degrees of consumption. This scared him, and it really scared me.

He would also change a lot more when he was drunk. I began to notice a point in the days/nights drinking when the drunk would "turn".
His demeanor would get angry, annoyed, grandiose...He would say strange,paranoid things.

The blackouts increased, then would stop, then get worse.

It is a progressive disease, and it wont just improve on its own.

Recovery is a whole other mountain to climb, and if I were you, I would ask myself if I want to be involved in the project of "getting him sober".

He is the only one who can do it, and if he is not already open to the idea, you are looking at a waiting game.

Start asking yourself if you are willing to continue livng with another persons disease if they are not trying to heal or recover from it. This has little to do with whether you love him or not.
It has to do with whether you are willing to love him actively at ANY COST to you and your happiness, your day to day calm and serenity.

Keep posting