Thread: Ouch
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

(If he ever finds this board I am sure my relationship will be toast...)
And it probably should be... bc if he has such a problem with you seeking support then he is in no way interested or committed to recovery.

I think as others have said he was looking for a reason to drink, a reason to fuel resentments and I hope you know deep down that his awful reactions is not about you AND that you have every right and then some to talk about your life with whomever you want.

I've been in the same shoes and it was around my AH having an issue that I talked to my best friend about my life... He actually said "this is something that should stay between these 4 walls"... Yeah okay... Keep the family secret! NOT!

He knew full well he didn't have an issue with my talking to my best friend-- his issue was he was pissed he was sober and was miserable bc he was not doing a damn thing about recovery. He still has this childlike thinking that "if I stop drinking it will all get better" or "If W (me) is not around it will all be better". Well, I'm not around now and he's supposedly not drinking and he's still miserable.

Hope one day he realizes that nothing changes unless something changes. He keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results-- he is the poster child for "terminal uniqueness" thinking..

Sorry for the ramble... your bf is an alcoholic, he is not in recovery, he wants to find an easy excuse to drink and will do so. Good for you for leaving without a scene-- that (a scene) is what he wanted.

I've noticed that when I started changing how I reacted (or didn't) to my AH his silent treatment grew. For a long time it worked as a way to suck me back in. I'm grateful it doesn't so much anymore.