Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Xelestial

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes and advice- I will truly do my best to take it to heart.

I had a conversation with him about it this morning. He was largely dismissive of where I got my info but said he was willing to admit he may have a problem, that he may be an alcoholic. But he was very opinionated about whether you could control it or not.

Since I do not know if he is an alcoholic or someone with a drinking problem, I accepted his suggestion that he simply moderate monthly and daily to an agreed upon amount- this means rarely if ever getting drunk, and very little alcohol in the house in general. I have read that if you aren't alcoholic, you will be able to control it with willpower, but that if you are, you simply cannot since it is a disease.

If he succeeds in his moderation plan, then hopefully we will have avoided the inevitable descent. But if he fails or has a hard time over the next few months, I am sure he will be convinced that he is an alcoholic and needs to get help.

The main problem I have with him is that he doesn't believe it will get worse and believes that even if he is an alcoholic, it isn't an issue.

Unfortunately, he will have to fail to understand whether or not he is, and then he can get help. So time will tell for us. Again thank you for all your help, and I hope I will not have to be back here in a few months, but it is very reassuring to know where to go for help if I do.