View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Presstoe

Originally Posted by InShadows View Post
My questions:

1. Should I move? Even though it's terrifying for me to even think about, and my new roommates may not be the most reliable people?

2. Should I tell the boyfriend every time she drinks? Or is this interfering too much?

3. I like to drink on occasion (maybe once every two weeks). I've started drinking away from her though, at a friends or in my room while I'm cleaning/watching TV. I also toss the bottles so there is no evidence. However I feel I should always be sober in case she does something idiotic like what I've said above. Is it still okay for me to drink with an A in the house?

4. She really needs anxiety medication but all the people that talked to her after she was hospitalized wouldn't put her on a psych hold saying intoxication doesn't count for them to admit her. The one doctor that did take her to a detox center couldn't give her anything because of the bad alcohol/drug reactions. Should I talk to her about the ability to get on the meds she wants if she stops drinking?

5. When she's drinking, is it alright if I ignore her and go to my room and do my own thing? With her anxiety issues, she always gets very upset at this.
Here's my thoughts:

1.) If it were me, she'd have to move.

2.) It doesn't matter, yeah it might be interfering, when she moves out, this will no longer be your issue.

3.) What you do has nothing to do with her. Back to number 1, she needs to go.

4.) I think she would benefit from detox and rehab, we're not allowed to give medical advice here, so listen to the doctors, ask them.

5.) Do whatever you want to do. It sounds like you're completely entangled in her life. Alanon might help. I'm not a professional, but what you're describing sounds like codependency. You need to move, or she needs to move and take care of yourself.

Be well- Take care of yourself and think of all the things you can do with your life aside from worrying about your sister. Let go of this.