View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Babyblue

Hi me a year ago!

The learning curve on dating someone in recovery is huge. The fact that he is really dedicated to his staying clean is GOOD. From what I observed, it is very hard work.

I'll just share what I experienced.... in the beginning he seemed to have it all together regarding recovery. He answered my questions, seemed headed on the right path, very active in AA/NA blah blah blah. I really admired his dedication!

Then Relapse. My entry into bizarro world.

I didn't see it coming, I had no idea it was happening and I realize now that he was working very hard at showing me his best side and to come across as really having a handle on his recovery (he was perfect too).

There were a number of factors I'm sure that lead to his relapse but to this day I don't know what really triggered it. He vanished for a month. They do that.

He got back up and is in a program long term. I'm just the supportive cheerleader (rah!) and that is the extent of my involvement in his recovery work. If your friend is doing his work, that is the most important thing.

As for you, just enjoy the time you spend and take it day by day. That is the best way when you are involved with someone in recovery. All that other stuff about his sponser, meetings, etc doesn't matter. It isn't yours to worry about, it is his deal. Trust me on this.