View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
brokenheartfool

I remember when I was a kid in swimming lessons. Every week I would stand on the end of the diving board until the teacher came and threw me in. I knew the teacher was going to throw me in, I wasn't afraid to get into the water, but only to jump in myself. Finally, after months of confidence boosting from the teacher, I jumped in myself.
Ever feel that way? You wish he would push you into those waters because you don't want to be responsible for jumping in yourself?
Ever remember how afraid we all are as kids to swim, yet when we finally get into the water we find we love it?
Be that kid...and decide for yourself without being pushed, when it is time to jump off that diving board.
I'm sure it's the same for someone trying sky diving for the first time. Or snow skiing down a big hill. Or singing in front of a crowd.
But, nothing ventured...nothing gained, yes?
We're all kids at heart afraid sometimes to jump into the water.
You know what the definition of courage is? Being afraid to do something, and doing it anyway!

Thinking back on posts from others...
"physical abuse would be a dealbreaker". Common, that view, yes?
But for you, you've already been pushed off the abuse diving board. You've been there, done that. You have had the courage to keep going in the relationship despite that.
Yes, that's a type of strength, stamina.
You're not as lacking in courage as you think, although endurance courage perhaps isn't as self-esteem building as jumping into fresh new waters. One kind of strength hurts us, another liberates us.