Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
LucyA

Originally Posted by pandora999 View Post

babyblue: yes i am scared that he is going to drink himself to death. because i cannot always be there to protect him (i have been revolving everything i do around him, to make sure that he doesn't hurt himself.. however that night's events hit me hard because i was literally in the next room and i couldn't stop him from getting hurt).
so, where does YOUR life come into this?
You really can't protect him from every eventuality!
What if he goes out and gets hit by a car, possibly driven by a drunk driver? Would that be your fault, because you weren't there to stop him going out? Or the drunk drivers girlfriends fault for not stopping him from driving?
You don't say how old you are, but as your BF is 24 I'm assuming you're a similar age, you have a lifetime ahead of you to use however you choose to. If you choose to live it attempting to turn an alcoholic into the perfect man then you're going to waste it big time.
If you choose to live it attempting to turn any man into the perfect one then you're still going to waste it but you might have more of your own life in the process!
We can't change anybody!
Not unless they want to change anyway, and you know that, because of the advice you've been given here and your own attitude to it.
You're still going to do your own thing despite all the people who've walked in your shoes already.
And you know what, every single one of the ones who did changed when they were ready, not one second before!
And the same applies to your BF, when he's ready, he'll change, but only for him, not ever for you or anyone else.
Live your life honey, it's so much better when it's lived the way you want it!