View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
concernednurse

Originally Posted by Buffalo66 View Post
I dont feel like that is mean.
If they are ready to hear what you offer, they will hear it.
I think this is it... when I first came to the boards my first post was whether to write a letter to my ABF or talk to him in person... a thread that I subsequently had deleted for various reasons. And, of course at that time, i think i was looking for a way to convince him he had a problem, all the while knowing i was doing it to protect myself. I did give him the letter actually, if anyone even remembers the thread. But, the truth is that I got a lot of tried and true advice on the thread that was like "get out now..." etc. And like many others who aren't ready to hear the truth, I gave him the letter. But I have done a ton of learning since that time, and I think the harsh but true statements that people made re: my situation at the beginning were helpful, even though at the time, I didn't want to hear them! "My situation was different." NOPE! It was similar to everyone else here minus minor details. As I continue, I am much happier in my relationship now that the alcohol has been removed, and happy and hopeful that my RABF is going through his process in trying to stay sober.. but I will continue to focus on my recovery first and foremost, as that damn relapse may one day rear its ugly head. Thanks for all your responses, everyone!