View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Babyblue

You are doing the RIGHT thing by reading this forum and seeing early on that there is a potential (and likelihood) of trouble ahead with him as your spouse in the state he is in.

As a gf of someone who IS in recovery I wouldn't consider marrying him until he had several years of sobriety, being responsible, being able to participate emotionally in a relationship, etc. etc. I worked too hard to build my life to have somoene crash into it and shatter it to pieces or give me heartache and worries.

Maybe because I have the hindsight of having been married (to a non-drinker) that I know the challenges that come with marriage, add on drinking and I can't imagine how hard it would be.

I have so much empathy for those here who do 'hang on' or did for some time. Particularly when children are involved. As much as I love the bf and want him to be something lasting, reading the stories here have made me accept the reality of an alcoholic who is not in recovery.

Knowledge is power and gives you what you need to decide for yourself if you are making the right choice. Trust your gut.