View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DestinyM

What do you think?

After another adventurous Friday dealing with me AH I'm wondering about a few things.

> Does a person's literacy level effect their recovery? I read a lot to help in my recovery and it helps me understand things but my AH dropped out of school in the 7th grade to hustle on the streets to take care of his mother (father was in & out of jail from his A & C addiction) and siblings since mom battled a H addiction . He's gotten better at reading since we got married (I'm in college) but he still has his reading comprehension problems which frustrates him. I'm reading the Big Book myself trying to get a better understanding of A for my own recovery and I see words that I know he'd never understand.

> What's the differences between the AA and Al Anon program? I guess in respect to delivery method. I know Al Anon, we don't give advice, we just share our stories, how does AA work? I'm not ready to go to one of their open meetings as I think it may upset me.

> I was going to ask if an alcoholic can also be codependent but after getting Codependent No More on my NOOK, I read that its possible. Explains a lot about my AH since he took on so much responsibility at like age 8 because his parents addictions. It took me years to convince him to stop running in the middle of the night every time one of his bros or sis got into a fight on the streets. Last night he kept talking about how everyones problems effect him even though he doesn't care (???). I didn't even attempt to address it since it was obvious the day's drinking had caught up to him and I've learned that I'd be wasting my breath trying.

> He is convinced that I'm all he needs. This disturbs me most of all. He's ready to go to rehab/detox again and try therapy & AA. even though he thinks AA won't work (Not that he's tried it before - guess he's going on what he's heard or seen on TV), but since year 1 of our relationship he's felt that I could help him with his issues, which I've tried over and over again to tell him I can't. Not only do I have issues of my own I have to deal with but I also haven't experienced half of the traumas he's dealt with in his life. I know detox will get his head clear from the alcohol but will AA help him realize that his issues are deep and his wife can't fix him?

> I called a lawyer friend of mine already to discuss a divorce (that was Mon and she hasn't called me back yet) because I know the insanity I deal with and the effects its had on me. My sponsor said I needed to choose between myself and him and this was a way. If he got himself together we could always remarry, but I honestly love my husband very much and am hoping for the best but trying to deal with today's reality.

BTW, we're still separated and no he doesn't know about the call to the lawyer.