Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
marylea

Originally Posted by blwninthewind View Post
I've found that driving is really difficult for me.

I can go around my area of town w/ no big problem but get me anywhere near a freeway or intense traffic and I'm melting down.

Even when I'm not the one driving!
My RAH is an offensive driver...a little more aggressive than I'm comfortable. I'm a defensive driver...always thinking "is that guy in the big truck an entitlement king? is he going to swerve into my lane w/ no warning?"

I realized yesterday that my anxiety has really escalated in the past few months...even WEEKS.
We took a day trip w/ the kids yesterday...about 100 miles and I was in tears by the time we got there.

I don't know what to do.
I'm realizing it IS a problem. I need to really get this under control because it's beginning to control where I'll go and really affecting my life and that of my kids.

We were supposed to go somewhere this week but didn't ...I told them it was too crowded but really...I was too afraid to drive.

We actually did go one place, there was NO parkiing, we would have had to go to a nearby (6 blocks away) parking garage...no way could I do that.
We ended up doing something totally different. Drive in a parking garage?! Just the idea of it had me close to tears. But it ruined my kids outting because I couldn't do it.
I dont have any suggestions on how to cope with this problem but I just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same problem....driving terrifies me!

My husband is my eyes when driving, he is my co-pilot. Without him in the car I cant drive on my own. In reality I ought not to be driving at all. My driving is safe but I am soooo terrified that I am going to kill us all or somebody else that I have full blown panic attacks at the wheel. Not that high doses of tramadol help!

Unfortunately my husband cannot get on my insurance until november due to a 'drunk whilst in charge of a vehicle' misdemeanor nearly five years ago!

Roll on november.

Waiting on CBT to start, maybe that will help. You must consider going to see your doctor to see if there is anything they can do for you.