View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi,

I'm a sober alcoholic AND was in two marriages to alcoholics. My first husband has not had a drink in 31 years, and he is still active in AA, and a great guy. My first husband got sober a year before we got married. I remember when he would get all stressed out and I felt like I was gonna explode I would tell him, I'm going out for a bit. Why don't you give your sponsor a call and discuss this with him? Usually, when I came back, he would be all calmed down again, having talked to someone who can actually HELP.

I suggest getting involved in Al-Anon, so you can focus on yourself and keep your paws off his recovery. I suggest not pumping him about how the meetings went, how the recovery is going, what is he doing, etc. Later, when he's solidly sober and things are settling into place for him, you will probably start getting to know other people in his program--many AA groups do social things to which spouses and families are invited.

Early recovery IS a time of mood swings, emotional ups and downs. It takes months and months before the alcoholic feels anything approaching "normal". It was helpful to me to learn to detach from the alcoholic (with love) and let him do the work he needed to do without getting sucked into his personal stuff he was working on.

Glad you're here with us, welcome.