Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
chicory

I sometimes wonder if it is related in some way to post traumatic stress disorder?

anxiety runs in my family. my mom was afraid to drive. i did well, until during my last marriage when my jerk of a husband would fall asleep at wheel, run off road, etc. he had sleep apnea, and would do nothing about it. I was terrified to ride with him. he screamed at me, a lot, when I would ask" are you awake? so, i stopped riding with him.

I proceeded to develop a fear of driving over a small bridge near my home, and fear of driving at all, really. i was already afraid of driving on freeways. i was even afraid when someone else drove. I would gasp audibly if they went a little faster than i liked around a corner , for instance. i would plead for them to slow down, and could not relax at all. impending doom, in my mind.

i had been in two wrecks about 10 years prior . one was pretty serious, a head on, in a whiteout fog. i was ok, but very bruised up, and lucky!
the next one was minor, but frightening nonetheless. i dont know if that had anything to do with my anxiety.

i went to the doctor, as my life was miserable from this fear. she gave me wellbutrin, and it helped me tremendously. i can drive over bridges, and can ride with people, without fear, if i trust their driving. i am doing ok, tho i still hate expressway driving and dont do it myself.

wellbutrin is good for anxiety, and depression. i have no side effects from it, tho i take a lower dose.
got rid of the jerk , and that helped a lot. he must have had at least 4 rear end collisions, totaled a vette, (said a deer jumped out), and sideswiped all our vehicles on mailboxes, the barn, the other cars, etc. tho he never admitted any of it.

hope this helps you,
chicory