Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

For me, this is where faith comes in the picture. I know a lot of people, myself included, would groan and roll their eyes at the mention of faith...but I feel I have acquired this belief after seeing first hand the journey of my life, and understanding that all events were lined up in a specific way for other life-altering events to take place.

In my case, the miserable year I spent after the end of my studies lead to meeting XAH, which lead to many more miserable years (which were incredibly educational), which lead to my getting preggo and having my daughter, who is the one who helped me realize that I COULD NOT continue living the way I was or I would be condemning her, an innocent, to the same fate. Through that realization, I "just happened" to find SR, which "just happened" to put me on the path to separation and divorce.

In my view, none of that happened accidentally. I was meant to live through the misery of a marriage with an alcoholic to understand what a healthy relationship is (and is not!).

With that in mind I'm going to say: trust in your Higher Power, whatever you call it, him, her, them. You're in good hands and you're coming to important realizations. If you relationship with your BF is meant to be, then it's going to happen. No amount of agonizing about the future and his decision to quit drinking or not is going to change that.

And, let's get real here...a man who binge drinks himself into a stupor on week-ends isn't suddenly going to quit drinking and be ok by Friday. Recovery is a life-long journey and it takes major "cojones".

IMO, it's time to step away from the alkie in your life, let him do what he will do, and focus on yourself.