Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Hi wanttohelp and WELCOME to SR! I'm glad you found this place. There's lots of support to be had here.

I'm going to start by posting for you the 3 C's of addiction, because they seem particularly relevant to your post:
You didn't CAUSE the drinking
You can't CURE the drinking
You can't CONTROL the drinking

So, to answer your post "How do you MAKE someone realize they have a problem?"...you don't. You can't. (Case and point: your bf is quite skilled at putting his hands over his ears, shutting his eyes and yelling out "lalalalala" anytime you bring up his drinking). There's nothing you can say or do to MAKE someone do anything. You simply aren't that powerful. The only power you have is over yourself.

You can decide what you are willing to live with and what you are not, and act accordingly. From reading your post, it seems as though his week-end drunkeness, which will eventually become "every day drunkeness" because it's a progressive disease, is keeping you away from your own home in order to avoid him. You sleep on the couch and are on a constant "death watch" waiting for his drunken apnea to choke him. That's no way to live.

I heartily recommend finding an Al-Anon meeting near you and attending a whole bunch of meetings, to get some IRL support.

I hope you keep posting and reading here as much as you like. SR is always open!