View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lightseeker

I know that you miss him but he is dealing with a lethal disease....addiction. When you love an addict it can be just as lethal (anxiety, depression, giving up our lives to worry about them, etc.).

A year sounds like a long time but in terms of a healthy and sober life for the rest of his life it really is a short time. When my husband went into recovery, one of the counselors told us both that if he remained sober that both of would be different people in a year than the ones that we were right then. She could not guarantee that we would even still want to be togethehr. I decided then and there to completely focus on me, work my own recovery, and do everything in my power for me. I hoped that we would still be together but took a huge gamble....I at least wanted the consolation that I would be in a better place in my own life.

It helped for me to stay focused on me and to remain open and flexible for what life had in store for me. I had a friend in Naranon whose boyfriend was away for a year in his program. He grew and changed and she really didn't....there relationship did not end up working out. I know that all of most want for our loved ones to get sober. If they do, it means that everything in there life and perspective has to change...obviously that is going to impact a lot of areas of life. I was willing to take the risk but only with a commitment to work on myself 100%. Doing that helped to fill the time and longings for the difficult times in those early years.

I'm thinking about you. You've found a wonderful site with lots of experience, strength, and hope...I hope that you will keep coming back.