Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Who are the people that keep telling you that you "need recovery"?

Recovery means differnent things to different people but in the AA philosophy it is a spiritual quest to become a person pleasing to your creator and in doing so finding peace and tranquility with yourself, loved ones and your community. In recovery the alcoholic/addict as well as the family members learn how to deepen and grow personal relationships with eachother that are healthy and bring greater joy and happiness to the family unit.

I personally felt like I didn't need Alanon or any sort of recovery either and while I didn't "need" it I have greatly benefitted from sharing devotional times with my AH that are themed on "recovery" (we have all the Hazeldon devotionals as well as daily journaling), attending AA meetings together (one a week Big Book) and joint counseling with our psychologist/pastoral counselor.

We both can "spot" unhealthy thoughts and behaviors very quickly in ourselves and eachother because we both focus on ourselves and try to "outgive" oneanother. If each partner gives 60% the love will always overflow...

The alcohol is just a symptom of the root of the problem... my RAH introduces himself at AA this way:

"Hi I'm an alcoholic and my problem is Chris"... I don't drink but I have a lot of other issues that I need to continue to recover from and work on (co-dependency and workaholism for the short list).

I don't know anyone who cannot benefit from working the steps... but that is just me.