Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nbunderstanding

What exactly am I recovering from as a family member of an recoverying alcoholic??

As a wife of a sober alcoholic I keep being told to work on my own recovery. So what is it that I am recovering from? I am not an alcoholic, I would drink on a rare occasion in the past but since my husband has went through rehab I have decided that drinking is not something that I want to do as a part of making a sober home and lifestyle. I was not co-dependant through his drinking years, I lived my life, did not interfer with any of his consequences, did not make excuses for him. I did not do anything for him that would be apart of his drinking i.e. buying him alcohol, drinking with him, or attend events I knew he would be drinking. I could see he was a sick man who needed help. I told him 4 years before he got help that I believe he needed treatment and it took him 4 years to be ready to end up finally getting help. I support his recovery efforts as he is very involved in AA.

I don't feel that Al-Anon is for me but I am tired of hearing people say I need to work my recovery.