View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lillamy

Well... you put one foot in front of the other... keep swimming...

I find that I'm having as hard a time answering as you had asking. Because a "starting over" is on so many levels.

There was the practical logistical level: Get help making a budget, figure out what I could afford to rent, find a place that fit the bill, find basic furnishings, get the electricity and phone hooked up, get mail changed... you know, all that stuff. That's busywork in a way -- but in a way, it's not. In a way, when you come out of a relationship with an A, it's empowering but can also be paralyzing if you let it. Because you have nobody to tell you what to do and nobody to yell at you if you do something wrong... and you're on your own choosing between a 3BR in a crappier neighborhood or a 2BR in a nicer one... and it's exhilarating and freeing and scary at the same time.

I started with the logistics. I had no choice. Once the logistics were settled, I could move on to the rest of life. Started a small business to supplement my income. Started focusing on the kids and their adjustment, their feelings, their finding their footing and new identities without an abusive overbearing father... and that's where I'm at.

For myself, I don't feel like I have a new start emotionally or anything like that. It's more like I'm continuing to build on the foundation I have. I tore down that structure that I built in my marriage with RAXH because the damn engineer didn't do the math right and it wouldn't hold. But I'm building on the foundation I have had all along. And it's like that: One foot in front of the other.