View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CheekyAngel

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
@cheekyangel - I don't know whether to call what's wrong with me agoraphobia or social phobia or what. I'm really reluctant to call it social phobia, because people then try to reassure me that I'm a good person and should just be myself, etc. I know all that, and I don't have a huge problem with my self image or think that I'm less worthy than other people. I just have panic attacks when I'm required to open my mouth and speak to people. The anxiety on the bus doesn't come from being around strangers - it comes from the fear that I'll see someone I know and have to talk to them...trapped in a space that I can't escape from. Why is this what sets me off? I don't know. All I know is that drinking makes it way worse.
I too suffer from severe anxiety. The anxiety is a huge hurdle that i cant jump so i understand the difficulty it brings. I suffer social anxiety due to erethrophobia. It is sooo dis-ableing.

With social anxiety...for me i would feel better to be around a group of people i dont know then a group i do. I know that there are alot of people with social anxiety that feel this way to. I think its because i cant really be judged and with people i know...i can.

Have you ever talked to your doctor about the anxiety? Or a theripst/counsellor? It can be very difficult to manage anxiety/panic attacks on your own...as i know all too well.