Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Floridachick

I took an "all of the above" approach, mostly because we had great insurance. Low bottom alcoholic here - lots of self neglect, and spent a decade trying to drink myself to death in isolation from the world.

I'm not saying you can't get sober without inpatient, after all people do it every day, but it certainly gave me a head start. First of all, check out the rehab carefully in advance. We selected one that uses a "reality based" treatment plan - you cook, clean, make your own bed, etc. We also had 66 hours of group counseling a week, an hour of Big Book daily, individual counseling once a week and an AA or NA meeting daily.

Upside: Lots of focus, fellowship and community with others going through the same thing, removed from environment in which I drank, safe, 30+ days sober when I checked out (6 days in detox before admission) and a third of the way to 90/90. A LOT of education about the disease and shiny new coping skills to go along with my shiny new sobriety.

Downside: Missed my home and family desperately. Fellowship and community with others going through the same thing - and who are all addicts and alcoholics who won't stop already with the war stories and drunkalogues! Also, there were instances of using and drinking while I was there - after all, an alcoholic/addict will find a way - and some were court ordered or there at the insistence of their family, so not so motivated. Immersion in the material almost to the point of drowning.

Long story short, when it was time to leave residential, it was almost past time to leave residential! I got a bit fed up with it, and was ready to get into the rooms and find the sober people, so I could do what they were doing. I wanted to be close to those who had some sober time under their belts whose sobriety was not so fragile. I didn't want to go down with the ship, so I distanced myself a bit from some people I care about very much as a matter of survival. Several cases of relapse I have heard about through the grapevine since - very sad.

I went from there to an IOP program, three nights a week, three hours a night and an hour a week with a therapist. Great reinforcement for what I learned in residential, and a different type of crowd. Higher bottoms, generally. I have four more nights of IOP to complete, then I am with a therapist once a week.

Still attending an AA meeting a day. 72 days sober, so it worked for me so far. Feeling great, cravings manageable, very little desire to drink (the monster is so quiet, I hate to mention it, but must), and I feel happy and free.

Good luck and best of everything, whatever you decide to do.