View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Originally Posted by FOB View Post
The question was really about whether to engage my direct report in the conversation, but those that have suggested that I research my company's policies first have given me good direction. And I do appreciate the caution exhorted by several of you. I'll share any insights I glean.
Yeah, be careful with the policies. Read between the lines.
I was fired for drinking...yeah, I know, dumb but its behind me now and I'm in a better place in my life.
I was told by one boss upon my termination that if I got a 'doctors note' I could return as long as I showed I was being treated.
I called to see about an appt to chat about coming back and I was told they weren't hiring AND I had to be a year sober before reapplying.
Now HOW THE HELL would they know if I was a week, a month or a year sober, for pete's sake.
Then I was told thru a friend that worked there, that the shady areas of the policy say "or as deemed necessary by the director". And phrases such as those to cover themselves.
The policy actually reads that after treatment employee will meet with manager prior to returning...subject to random blood tests and participate in after care.
Some companies prefer not to deal with high maintenance employees that they have to 'watch'. I was offered none of that.