View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
reggiewayne

There is a saying in AA "Easy does it". "We will intuitively be able to handle situations that used to baffle us"... another AA saying. The point I'm trying to make is nothing needs to be said right now. When we decide to get sober we want to tell EVERYONE what we're up to. We're so full of resolve and determination (WILL POWER) and we can't imagine ever wanting to drink that nasty crap again. Then, day by day, we let go little by little. Now, that glass of wine doesn't seem like that big of deal. Now, our families seem to be pushing us to the point where we NEED a drink. The people around us become a little more gray, our lives become a little more gray, we're tired of being a "good boy" all the time. At home, at the office, with our extended family, the pressure mounts, and finally GOD DA_MMIT I NEED A DRINK!!!!

Sound familiar? It does to me, because that's my story. I have done the above mentioned scenario many times. What have I learned? Talk means absolutely nothing. Show your employer your serious about getting sober through actions, not words.

I recently got a new job and I went to my employer and said, I need to figure out a way to handle some personal things. I can either do them before work (and come in 30 min. late) or I can do the during lunch (30 min. later lunch). That's all I said. He said he'd prefer if I did it before work, so I do. I don't discuss my alcoholism with my boss. I do tell people that I don't drink (only if it comes up). I want to show by example. Do I help others, am I on time, am I reliable, do I do work that isn't my responsibility but helps the company? It's called a living amends and in most cases its the best kind we can do.

I wish you the best...