View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

My total ended up being fairly reasonable. It'll be worth it if XAH ever pays the back child support. (Child Support Services could only make CS payments due to the date I filed, and I'd waited way too long believing his "I'll bring a check next time I see DS". My attorney recommended I ask for CS from the date I left XAH, and that's what the court awarded.)

However, part of what I paid was the flat fee for my first attorney. I will just say, the flat rate attorney would have been fine IF there hadn't been issues with custody, alcoholism and abuse, i.e. if it was an amicable divorce. I had thought XAH would just let me go, not the case at all; it was definitely not amicable. Also note: the fee had to be paid up front; there was really no reason for him to put in too many hours after he'd already been paid. It was a very expensive lesson.

I also think though, that the attorney I switched to didn't bill me for all of her time or work. For all of the work and help she provided, her bill seems a little lower than my estimates.

One family law attorney that I spoke to, who specialized in DV and/or abuse cases, had a $6,000 retainer and an hourly fee of $450, and noted a ball-park of $30,000 total. Ummmm, ouch. (This is NOT the one I went with.)

Edit: this doesn't include the costs for counseling for DS, just the legal fees

Last edited by theuncertainty; 03-10-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: as noted