View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jabbadabutt

I too had some concerns that my drinking was affecting my work performance (it was who are we kidding) and I feared that they would 'talk to me' some day.....but that day never came (I dodged another bullet). When I was really truely ready to get some help I considered using my employers employee addiction help avenue but at the advice of my wife (she is always right) I decided not to go that route as I/we felt that it was too risky and confidentiality would not be airtight.....AND.....I studied up on work provided conseling and my limited research noted that it was pretty minimal and basically referred you to an addiction couselor or shrink. I looked up a local alcohol and drug counselor and made an appointment on my own. I got the help I needed. I got help. I tried to do it on my own....and it did not work. Seldom it does. I see the counselor once a week to talk about my issues and it really does help me stay sober. I have NO intentions of stopping the weekly visits for at least the next 6 months or until they recommend biweekly or something. My insurance pays for most of it so it is a no brainer. So....long story short.....I did not involve my employer and did it my way, with some help....I got sober....my work performance improved, I dodged a bullet.

As far as the work social situation goes, I try not to partake in many 'events' where drinking is the focus like happy hours....but if I must I usually get a non alcoholic drink right away...or make an excuse (there are hundreds)....but as time goes by and I am sober longer.....it certainly feels more comfortable saying 'no thanks...I don't drink' or "I haven't had any drinks in two months and I am losing weight" and it typically goes away.

Get the help you need....get sober....and in my opinion do not make a big deal about it to your employer. If they demand of you that drinking is required to be sucessfull in your business.......get a new job.