View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CoffeeLover

Separation and Attorney issues

I won't even go into all the details, but the last week or two have been absolutely horrific. The lies continue daily and I have learned some awful things about my husband from 12 - 15 years ago. There is never any chance of reconciliation, sober or not. He has some serious mental issues and I just keep looking back wondering how have I been with this man for over 15 years. I seriously don't know who he is. He has moved out of our house as of 1 week ago. I have made slow progress and met with a therapist for the first time yesterday. She strongly recommended that I need to consult with an attorney and at least have a picture of what my options are. My only hesitation is the cost of an attorney. I can't really find any attorneys in my area who will do a free consult. I don't have any extra money especially since I am now a single mom and recently had to start paying for my kids for child-care which is a substantial cost for my budget. Even if I can scrounge up enough money to pay for the initial consult I don't know that I would be able to afford to continue with the additional attorney expenses beyond that initial point. My biggest need for consulting an attorney is to protect my children. They are not safe with him. At this point he is not fighting my on custody issues. As of right now he is willing to "play" by my terms, whatever that means. He hasn't seen the kids this past week, but does want to see them this weekend. He said that he is okay if it is even supervised for a short period of time. Can you share with me your experience with consulting an attorney as you begin a separation?