View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Wisconsin is a very rough state to get a divorce (it takes forever, even when the parties are amicable) and it hasn't changed much since my first divorce there in '76. Yes, Wisconsin is my 'home' state and I still have family there, including a sister who got a divorce a few years ago, it took a total of 7 years to be finalized.

Do some contacting of 'different' lawyers, usually the first 1/2 hour or hour is 'pro bono' and have a list of questions to ask about your situation. That will give you some good info, head start.

Then look up some 'private practice' 'para legals' that can help you with the paperwork. There is a lot of the early stages you can accomplish without a lawyer.

As an alternative, if they all quote about the same, and if you have a job skill where you might find a job in Nevada, preferably the Reno area (the unemployment is lower there than Las Vegas) move, live there for 6 weeks to establish residency and even with children involved you can get your divorce much quicker and cheaper. Just a thought.

Divorce costs, and not only dollars. Since you mention child/ren there will also be counseling for them and yourself.

Also, please note, that 'alimony' is almost a thing of the past in most states. Sure a family court judge might order it for a year or two, so the spouse can go back to school to get a 'trade' so that they can be a 'wage earner', but ongoing alimony until the spouse remarries is very rare now.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Love and hugs,