Thread: My Inner Demons
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
djayr
Lord Have Mercy

Freaky story . . .

My wife fell down our basement stairs when drunk, and she hit her head and broke an artery in her brain. I found her perhaps 10-15 minutes later. She was face down, eyes OPEN, not moving, speaking, nothing.

I figured out she was alive and I helped her to the couch. She was totally messed up but I figured she was just wasted on vodka. I didn't realize that she was extremely close to death. I called a rehab hospital to see if they had a bed available. I called my mother and said I was going to take AW to rehab, this was going to be my excuse for a very long overdue intervention.

Then I went back to check on her, and she was basically DEAD. I called 911, they came and couldn't revive her! They took her to the hospital and she had emergency brain surgery. 38 days later she check out good as new. Yes, clean of alcohol, smiling, beautiful, all of her memory and ability, weakened but healed.

2 yrs 3 months later she started drinking again and it all went to hell. Now I am getting a divorce.

The reason I share all this, I have wondered many times along the way, what if I just left her there on the couch to take a long nap? She would have died. I think about that and in weaker moments ("demons"?), I think life might have been better if she just died.

That is so horrible, but it just goes to show you how desperate and crazy a person can get living with an alcoholic. Everyone gets really, really screwed up -- I know I did.