View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Hey, Reefbreakbda. I don't know why I never saw your location - for some reason I always think Hawaii or Australia when I see your name. But, Ireland is one place I have always wanted to visit...

Rayn3drop's post really helped it fall into place for me. It depends on the people involved.

Consistency in action over time leads to trust.

I’m more willing to trust some people than others after a disagreement/incident/whatever, because their past behavior was kind/accepting/polite/considerate – generally respectful of my person, beliefs and boundaries. If the event that bruised our trust was a one-off event and the majority of their behavior supports that, then I’m more likely to trust them again.

Where I got (get) into trouble is when people consistently behaved in a manner that hurt me or my loved ones, and I ignored the pattern and continued to believe that they would be respectful in the future. Instead, I should have begun to trust that they would continue to behave in a hurtful manner.

I think it’s healthy that skepticism enters the picture after some one has repeatedly behaved in a manner that disregards our feelings, thoughts and/or safety. It takes time to re-build trust.