Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I've often wondered how I would have responded if my RAH had told me early on he was a heavy drinker and trying to quit. Honestly - I think I may have run for the hills. Why? Because it has taken me a long time to understand alcoholism in its entirety and much I still don't "get". It is so easy to go with the usual stereotype of thinking this person can "just quit", right? Just quit drinking, jeesh! I can, why can't you? But now I know differently, it's not like that at all.

She didn't understand and may not understand and I recognize now what this kind of life means to me - no drinking around my husband. Ever again. No champagne toasts on our anniversary or at the weddings of my daughters. No beer after work or after a hot day working in the yard. No wine with dinner. No gin & tonic after a hard day at the office. I am still struggling with what it means for me. But I am still trying. She may decide not to. I am not sure I could blame her for that, knowing what I know now. Sorry if that comes across as depressing - just MHO.

Congratulations on your sobriety! That's awesome!