Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
reddy2quit
Justwannalive

I told her my story but I think she misunderstood

Hi All,

Day 47 and all is well. Feel good.

Looking for some guidance. I met a wonderful woman about a month ago. I agonized over how to tell her about my situation. I was very nervous but at dinner early on told her I had something important to tell her and I wasn't sure how she would take it. I explained that I had a problem with drinking in the past. That I had fought quitting on and off. That I had finally succeeded a few weeks earlier. And that I was one of the fortunate ones who did not have a life-destroying experience/loss of job/money/etc., my issue was physical self-destruction.

She asked a couple of questions about how recently it happened and if I was done for good and said she was fine with it.

I was incredibly relieved.

A couple of dates later she offered me wine. I said I don't do that anymore. And she asked if I was a teetotaller or two weeks on/two weeks off. I thought that a little odd.

This weekend we were together and I commented that I was surprised that in all our conversations she never asked me about my drinking. She responded with an unexpectedly emotional response that she would have a big problem if I was an alcoholic or an addict. I taken aback and said there's nothing I haven't told her.

It's become apparent she didn't absorb everything I told her at that early dinner. My dilemma now is do I offer clarifying information or just leave it alone?

My habit was secret so there is no one who would say anything to her. I would just hate for a later casual comment to somehow trigger a world of mistrust between us.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.