View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
vinepest

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi all!

OK...I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I hope you "know" me well enough by now that its not the case. I just read this article the other day and found it fascinating and was wondering what you all might think about it. P.S. - It's not about addiction but it is about science

Rabbi Adam Jacobs: A Reasonable Argument for God's Existence
I think it's sad. The whole God versus science thing is a big red herring, yet it keeps popping up with astonishing regularity.

The existence of God is not made more likely by the lack of explanation for phenomenon X. This is true even for evolution. Suppose, for instance, that we could somehow show that common descent is absolutely false, and that evolution is hopeless to explain biodiversity. In that case, we are absolutely no closer to showing that God exists.

There is no reason to prefer the God hypothesis over any other arbitrary hypothesis you can imagine. The idea that we should privilege God over other ad-hoc stories seems prevalent in our society, but it has no rational foundation whatsoever. When the Rabbi lays out his case for God as a negative case against abiogenesis, he's committing himself to that fundamental error.