View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LaFemme

Beardo...a Life Coach is very similar to a therapist except that instead of looking into our past to figure out why we have our current issues, we identify our current issues and have exercises about how to move around them....sort of a "get over it" approach. We don't ignore the past and it does come up from time to time but it's not the main focus.

For instance, my family is coming for a visit this weekend, a fact that was causing me stress...instead of figuring out why it was causing me stress or analyzing that we came up with a plan to get rid of the stress.

You also use a LC more to get over a singular (or two) specific problem or obstacle. So, for instance, we focus on what's holding me back from achieving my dreams of being a full time artist, and secondarily my family relationships (they are kind of linked anyway). I do not use her to work through my relationship with alcohol, I had dealt with the basics of that before I started working with her, by removing that from my life I was able to have the clarity of emotion to work with her on the big ssues.

i hope that explanation is accurate and helpful!