View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
As far as what you say when he comes home, you really don't need to say anything unless or until he brings it up. You don't have to announce you have changed, you just start acting in accordance with your conclusions.

Detachment is good. If he comes home and is charming, say, "That's nice." If he announces his intention to go to more meetings, say, "That's good." If he starts analyzing his problem and why he's been having trouble or something like that, you can just say, "Hm, sounds like you've been giving this a lot of thought." You don't have to engage with it.

Detachment just means not involving yourself in his disease. Non-committal comments make it clear you aren't "punishing" him but rather, you are not choosing to engage in the old dance.
This is excellent advice; thanks LexieCat. It is hard but doable; take it one day at a time. I remember earlier on thinking that I didn't know how to feel or act while being "detached". Now I understand its more a state of mind and the feelings and behaviors will follow. I am still a work in progress, but get a little better at it each day.

Al-Anon will help you learn this. Get involved in your own program and it helps take the focus off of whatever he is doing (or not doing).