View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Stevie1

Is counseling an option, 5brats? With someone who is hip to the dynamics of alcoholism in a relationship, particularly.

It is a big, big adjustment for the sober partner. He's adjusted to dealing with you as a drinker and that was probably hard for him to do, now all of a sudden you have changed the rules by quitting. I don't think it's fair to expect him to change just that quick.

I was where you are...my marriage went down the tubes quickly when I quit drinking (not forever but that's a different story) in the mid 1990s. In retrospect I realised that I changed the dynamics, then got angry when my husband didn't love the shiny new sober me....but I was a drinker when we got together, he knew it and married me anyway. Then I changed my routine somewhat drastically and expected him to be 100% on board, and of course he wasn't....in my case, part of the deal was he liked being the caretaker and responsible one in the marriage. When I got sober, I took that away from him.

I recall reading that it's a fragile point in a relationship when one person becomes sober because the dynamics have changed...I'm only relating my own experience here, but maybe there's something you can use?

Congratulations on 107 days, in any case!