View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
littlefish

I began researching about Bill W and cannot believe what I found. He was basically a sex addict, used LSD (even wanted everyone in AA to use LSD), came up with the 12 steps on hallucinogenic drugs in the hospital and ect.
I just want to echo dgillz comments here that this is very inaccurate information.

There has been some talk about him being unfaithful, but being unfaithful and a full blown sex addict are not the same thing.

He did not come up with the 12 steps on drugs. He developed the 12 steps from the 6 steps of the Oxford group, expanding them to be more oriented to alcoholism.
There has been talk that he experimented with LSD, but apparently, if that is true, and it is still debatable that it is nothing but a rumor, that was very close to the end of his life. It's not possible he would have suggested LSD anyway for the first 30 years of AA history, because LSD wasn't popularized and generally available to the public until the 1960's.

I am not sure where you have gotten the impression that AA is about self-centeredness: it is the exact opposite. Time and time again in the Big Book, recovering alcoholics are advised to put their egos aside, stop thinking about themselves and think about others.