Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hollyanne

Addiction most likely is both physical and psychological.
One day, for whatever reason, the future addict stumbles upon a substance that has an affect on their thought process/comfort level/mood/physical abilities......

They repeat this experience until they cross the point where the body needs it to function even normally, not to mind get extra affect.

They cause distress and harm to themselves and/or others by using this substance.
They sometimes mix or change substances based on affect or availability.

They now, for whatever reason are going to try and stop altering their mind/body with substances. They must deal with the physical withdrawal and then the psychological affects of reality. Either old hurts and issues, or simply the guilt of the harm done since the addiction started to do damage. This is difficult stuff. Add to that, the feeling of berserk brain chemistry AND the physical exhaustion of withdrawal and one has quite the task ahead.

I would think that like modern medicine, you could fling everything at it and hope something sticks. A lot of fantastic medical breakthroughs came about due to accidental/incidental discoveries. Why does one person survive an accident that kills someone else? Why does one person recover from cancer when another doesn't with similar treatment?

As human beings, we are unique. So, there are infinite variables. To discount anything in the toolbox is unwise.

One thing with addiction, I really have a problem with. When it comes to statistics, how in the name of God can anyone keep any sort of accurate reliable data on addicts? How do you trust statistics on an anonymous, informal, disparate group of ever-changing subjects?

I just wish the very best for all the addicts and their families and friends. It is a hard slog and it is a true test of all affected.8