Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Seren
Forum Leader

Hi Panther,

I was not personally involved, but my now hubby, his daughter and two stepsons 'intervened' on his AS. "Jr." agreed to go to the hospital that day. He was diagnosed with jaundice, alcoholic hepatitis, and had lots of fluid build up in his abdominal cavity. The doctors gave him a 50/50 shot on making it through the first two and a 50/50 shot of making it through the DTs.

He survived, went to IOP therapy.....then turned to crack. He has threatened to kill 3 members of his family, has been in and out of jail for check fraud, is still homeless/couch surfing. His father and I will no longer give him money or a place to stay (Jr. is 29). Mr. HG and I have learned that sobriety is something the young man has to truly want for himself. He has learned the tools, and knows the resources. He just refuses to do anything to help himself because he still believes everyone else in the world owes him something and should clean up after him (sadly something his late mother and father did when he was young).

Perhaps the tools learned in IOP after the intervention will be useful for him someday. I wish you the best of luck as you plan this intervention for your friend.

All the best,
HG