Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Panther))) - you seem convinced that intervention is the way to go, for your friend, so go for it. It will work or it won't.

I can tell you it would NOT have worked for me, and my DOC (crack) is illegal, but VERY easy to obtain.

I, personally, don't believe in the statistics. Of the 100s' of A's and RA's that I know, no one has ever included us in statistics. I've been told the recovery rate for crack addicts is extremely low..well, I'm proving them wrong. I agree with ((Keep)) - if interventions were so great, everyone would do them and there would be no need for this forum.

I wish you would also realize that there are many people on this forum who have done everything that they possibly could, for their A's. There are loved ones here who have seen their A go through interventions, detox/rehab, jail/prison,time in ICU,time in recovery, then relapse, and several who have lost their A They are sharing their experience. IMO, it doesn't matter if you have a PhD in interventions...being an A, loving an A (or both, in my situation) doesn't have a cookie-cutter cure.

I agree with the medical method you mention, however, I also agree that the other methods help. Hell, I was a nurse, and that didn't do a darned bit of good. I needed to face the harsh consequences, figure out what it was about "me" that I was so uncomfortable with and trying to drown it out in drugs, and strongly work on my spirituality.

Do what you feel you need to do, but please realize that no one likes "my way" shoved down our throats, nor the belittling and sarcasm.

You'll do what you feel you need to do, as will the A in your life. If it works, fantastic! If it doesn't, well, I guess they'll be in the lower end of your statistics. Regardless, they'll have been given the tools of recovery that comes with rehab, and you'll know you did what you felt was right.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy