Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Panther

Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
Our posts "crossed". Thanks for the info. I will look into these. I'm not sure how many people know or hear about them. I always try to look at all sides. But of course I am going to side with the one that works best for me!
Yes, I write long posts sorry. The difference between treating addiction with a Psychological Model and a Medical Model - is like the difference between treating Schizophrenia with a doctor or a priest. How you approach a problem greatly effects the outcome.

To illustrate my point I have found two mission statements from two different rehabs. One is based on the old Psychological Model and the other on the new Medical Model. Here are some excerpts -

Psychological Model: "All too often, people will quit using alcohol or drugs for a while but fail to address the reasons that led to alcohol and drug abuse in the first place. This is where most treatment programs disappoint. We say, let's do it right the first time so you can get on with your life!"

Medical Model: "The main thrust of our inpatient program is to help patients recognize that alcoholism and addiction is a primary, progressive disease, rather than any manifestation of moral consequence, character weakness, or psychological dysfunction. We teach patients to approach their disease as a treatable condition with a high potential for recovery."