Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Panther

Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
I would like to hear another kind of view if you have one. Although I know Al Anon has worked tremendously for me, and I think my husband would benefit from a stint in rehab, I don't buy the "one cure fits all" mentality. It seems that we don't hear about many other forms of recovery that are not 12 step programs. I would like to hear about those as well. It is good for you to share what you know or have seen as well. I do know from experience that "forcing" someone to go to rehab takes the control and decision away from them. They may give up the substance but the mentality is still there unless that part of the addiction is addressed.
It is unfortunate that you id not feel the support you were looking for. Please keep us posted on what goes on with your situation. I think the more we learn from a variety of sources, the better off we are.
Jamaica -

Thank you for your response. Basically, the scientific research supports the theory that addiction (particularly alcohol addiction) is a physical illness. Now this is not "illness" as in "that person is really sick in the head" but illness as in cancer. The physical changes that occur in a person's body because of addiction are profound and wide spread. Every organ is affected down to the last cell and even down to the last organelle (small microscopic organs within the cell). Because of these changes, will power is no longer able to control the substance. The substance now controls will power. Experiments done on animals (rats, mice, etc), babies and long range twin and adoption studies all prove that addiction is a complex disease determined by genetics, exposure to the substance and physiology.

Now, the tricky part is that most treatments for addiction were developed before ANY scientific research had been done. Most rehabs, counseling services, and self-help groups are based on outdated theories that were first developed during the 30s and 40s. This explains why they have such poor success rates! I myself work in the substance abuse unit at a juvenile hall and despite the fact that the kids also get recovery services (lectures, private and group counseling, antidepressants) there is a very high relapse rate. Some of the kids are in there for up to 8 months, and within a month of being free they are back behind bars for using drugs again. Why? Are they all hopeless lost souls? Or maybe they never got proper care in the first place? The research supports the latter.

An intervention gets an addict help before something permanent can happen (death, insanity, suicide, jail) and it is a success in 85% of cases. But following the intervention, there needs to be proper medical care, otherwise it was all for nothing. That is not to say the addict does not at some point realize their situation and regain their will, because with the right course of action they will. But it cannot happen before they get proper help.

A good book on addiction Under the Influence by Dr. Milam. A good book on intervention Love First by Jeff Jay. They also have a website with more info. LoveFirst.net

Panther